Wednesday 6 January 2016

Lalitha Vijaykumar-Singer of Raasathi


Suriya said his kids loved my song: Lalitha
Sharanya CR | TNN | May 15, 2015, 12.00 AM IST



For a film that tells age doesn't matter, it is poetic that its chartbuster song, Raasathi, is sung by a 57-year-old singer making her film debut. 

Fifty-seven-year old Lalitha Vijaykumar was enjoying her last year of being a music teacher (she retires this August) but little did she realize that a movie opportunity would knock on her door. 

After training in music from the age of seven, Lalitha recorded her first song as a playback singer this year. If 36 Vayadhinile marks the comeback of Jyotika, the film also marks the debut of Lalitha with the song Raasathi. With the song earworming its way into many a household in the state, Lalitha has finally arrived.Excerpts...

Tell us about your journey in the field of music...
I was never encouraged to listen to film music by my parents and grew up hearing a lot of religious songs. I began taking Carnatic music lessons at the age of seven. After my schooling, I went Thiruvaiyaru Music College to do my BA in Music. I also did my Masters and began my career as a music teacher. 

It was only after marriage that I began listening to film music. During this period, I also recorded a couple of songs for All India Radio. My husband encouraged me a lot to sing. I also did many light music shows for AIR and even participated in reality shows. 

With a lot of musical influence in the house, my son Pradeep Kumar (now a playback singer and music composer) had also picked up interest in music. Since he was keen on pursuing a career in music, we moved from Trichy to Chennai. While he has established himself as a singer and a composer, I began teaching music in a school.

How did you get your first playback singing opportunity?
Though I learnt music from a young age and have performed for shows, I never imagined myself as a playback singer. 

Santhosh Narayanan (composer of the film) was our neighbour in Trichy and we've been family friends for a long time. In fact, Pradeep and Santhosh grew up together. 

He knows my musical background. One day, when he was in Sydney for orchestration, he called my husband and asked if I'd be interested to sing a song. 

My husband asked me and we said `Yes'. He gave me the demo and asked me to record the song in a couple of days.While he monitored the entire recording from Sydney, we went to a studio in Chennai to record the song.It just took a couple of hours and it was done!

How was your experience recording a film song?

Since I already had the studio experience, I wasn't nervous. All that Santhosh said was to be casual. He said,`Aunty, jolly-a paadunga.' I loved the way he has composed the tune and since they wanted a different voice, I sang the song happily. Initially, I wasn't sure if it will even make it to the album. But I was pleasantly surprised to learn from Santhosh that the makers have used my song.

We hear you were nervous singing the song during the audio launch...

Yes.Though I've sung for an audience of over 2, 000 people in my schools, it was a different experience singing in front of celebrities. But when I sang, people at the launch really enjoyed the song. In fact, Suriya said that his kids loved my song a lot and shared the song on WhatsApp with their friends. I was very excited to hear that coming from him. My students were equally upbeat about my song and they make me sing it in school quite often.

Will you continue to sing in the future?
I first want my son, Pradeep and my daughter-in-law Kalyani, to do well in films. My daughter is also a singer and has participated in reality shows. So, music is always present at home. 

But if an opportunity comes by and if the song suits my voice texture, I will definitely sing. Singing in films gives you an instant reach.Since the film is Jyotika's comeback, there was a lot of recognition. But things have to fall in place like the way Raasathi did.

No comments:

Post a Comment